Our first DTE Tool Library Organizing Meeting is TONIGHT!
Denton Time Exchange is looking to expand from being just a time bank to opening a tool lending library or "library of things", and we need your help in getting this new project off the ground!
As a project of the Solidarity Economy Committee (SEC) of Cooperation Denton, we've always had the goal of rendering money more and more obsolete in the lives of Denton's neighbors, to build local networks of mutual exchange that strengthen community in a very personal way without perpetuating the very impersonal nature of the dollar. Until now, our main method of doing this was our time bank.
But, we (the SEC and DTE's coordinators- you can easily become one!) feel that a tool library/library of things (in joint cooperation/as a package deal the timebank) can serve the purpose of our organization by requiring neighbors to spend less money buying tools and equipment they may only use once or twice a year, allowing less junk to be accumulated in private garages, and create space for neighbors to get to know each other and have free access to tools that allow them to unleash their creative and passionate energy. Ultimately a tool library could be an institution self-governed by local neighbors themselves and be a very empowering, relationship building project, another building block of a bottom-up direct democracy and solidarity economy that puts more of life under the control of Denton's neighbors.
So, TONIGHT join us over Zoom at 7:30PM to plan the future of the tool library!
Here are some things we most likely will need to do to open the library:
- Secure access to some storage for our tools and co-define some set weekly hours with the owners of the storage shed/building, etc in which our volunteers can meet community members to check out and return tools.
- Most of the interfacing, "shopping around", and reserving tools would happen online at our DTE Tool Library website, which is very much in its infancy phase and currently has no tools listed. So we'll need to continue to fill out the library- most importantly signing up new members!
- We will simultaneously need to work out our liability and lending agreements, but thankfully there are examples online!
- After we have storage, we'll need to put out a call for tool donations.
We would then start cataloging the tools online, researching and databasing replacement costs, and then storing them in the shed before opening up the website to our members and allowing them to reserve and pick up tools.
- Celebrate a grand opening!
We will need to discuss these kinds of things at our next meeting- open to anyone! See you there!
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 898 9281 8571